Thebastidge: I'm in Kandahar- limited Internet
  • Cascade Policy Inst.
  • Evergreen Freedom Foundation
  • Free State Project
  • Seastead Institute
  • Open Carry.Org
  • No Nonsense
  • TDA Training
  • Believe it
  • -->

    ********************Southwest Washington Surplus, your prepping supply store********************

    Tuesday, December 14, 2010

    I'm in Kandahar- limited Internet

    I can't actually read blogs here in Kandahar, so I am cut off from a good deal of my daily Internet entertainment and missing the references to interesting things around the Web. I can email an update to my personal blog or to Facebook, but can't read either, so forgive the formatting if it's messed up. I may get commercial Internet for my iPhone and laptop, but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
     
    Got here a couple days ago. It's even dustier here than Kabul, which is hard to believe, but true. Slightly warmer, probably due to a couple thousand feet less elevation. I'd absolutely hate to see this place in the rainy season, the moon dust all over must make it a muddy nightmare.
     
    The food's slightly better, possibly just due to more variety. Housed in a solid building for the first time since I got to Afghanistan, but this is only a temproray gig, for a couple-three weeks at most. We still have a short hike to a latrine trailer and shower tent, which we have to flip the sign from male-female every 1/2 hour of the morning.
     
    Oddly enough, I have the best furniture and the worst mattress I've seen here so far, lol. The mattress edge folds over when you sit down on the side of the bed- just folds back over itself all of a sudden. And no matter how you sleep, you end up waking up with a numb spot on your ribs somewhere from a spring pressing through the super thin fabric of the mattress. It's kinda funny, if not very comfy. But this is the first time I've had a drawer to put my drawers in, so to speak. The building is supposedly condemned, but it's the best accomodations I've had- it has its own individual heater, lights, and a wall locker with built-in dresser.
     
    I think I'm actually going to buy a rug, just a regular machine-made mat for wiping your feet, to put on top of the bed. I think that will spread the weight better than the mattress material. It should be no worse than sleeping on a floor, maybe better since the springs do give under my weight, just not evenly. Not bothering to get linens for this place, just using a sleeping bag and a pillow.
     
    It's not too bad, if I can just get a little sleep it'll probably be downright rosy.

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Jeanne S said...

    Sounds like someone crossed Girl Scout camp with a gulag, in the Dust Bowl. Let me know if there's anything I can send to make it less icky.

    3:19 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home